Saturday, February 20, 2010

Damon Reportedly Agrees to 1 year $8 Million With Tigers

Well, well, well. I guess you can all thank me for this signing folks. I posted to tell him to make up his mind just a couple hours ago, and there it is :D.

Yup...Johnny Damon gave me a call about 30 minutes ago and told me that he read my post and wanted to make sure that I was cool with the signing. I said I was, but only felt a 1 year deal would be the way to go in case he all of a sudden got really old really fast ;).

Anyways, I couldn't be happier with the signing. We have needed a decent lead off hitter ever since I can remember. Plus we have heard the tired old "we need a left handed bat" every year over and over again from DD and Leyland for about 5 years now.

Before you start talkign like an idiot and saying things like Damon has a noodle arm, and "OMFG I'M RAGE'D" because you are concerned about Illitch's pocketbook, just STFU. The difference between Damon throwing out 5 people a year from LF and some other yokel throwing out 6 guys a year is not even worth mentioning. You know for a fact he has better range than Guillen does, and his lack of defense has been completely overblown for years. WE NEED THIS BAT BADLY like you probably need some face moisturizer on your pocked up noggin.

So...this means that we can give Austin Jackson either a little bit more time in the minors, or at the very least not force the kid to be the leadoff hitter now. I'd like to see him get a shot to make the team, but my expectations certainly aren't high right now. Everything I have read says he needs a lot more work at the plate, but if he is hitting at the bottom of the order we aren't exactly in the same situation we were before Damon signed.

No comments: